Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bert & Ernie, yogurt cones and Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Cilantro lime rice and citrus salsa



Hello Friends! I am so excited about this week's menu, even though it has nothing to do with the crockpot. We've been super busy this week and honestly I havent done alot of cooking. Mainly because we have been spending about 90% of our time out at the lake and on the boat! I love summer!!

Ok, for today's first snack I made Bert and Ernie. I got the recipe idea from here. Mister loved it! My father in law is a preacher and on more than one occasion has mentioned how I always turn food into animals and people, which probably kind weirds the congregation out and makes them wonder what exactly do I do with my kids all days. But seriously, how could I not make this?Its too cute!

Next Mister had this for snack. I got this idea from a blog too, and he loved it! It was messy for a two year old, but then again what isnt messy with a two year old? Yum!
Now for the main menu. Shut the front door this was good! Heres what you need:

white rice, cilantro, 1 lime, butter, 1 can pineapple, 1 red pepper, 1 orange, 1 jalapeno, olive oil, 3 nice sized salmon filets, Caribean, Jerk Seasoning

First start your rice. I boil 2 cups water, add one cup of rice with 1-2 tblsps butter, cover and simmer.

I made my own seasoning. I got the recipe here. I looked at the store and couldnt find any, but this was super easy to make and I had leftovers. I also had everything on hand so I didnt have to spend extra money. I rubbed the salmon filets on both sides with the seasoning. To cook the salmon Hubcap grilled the salmon on the meat side over direct heat for 5 minutes. Then he took the salmon off direct heat and cooked it skin side down for 15 minutes.

While the salmon cooked I diced up the orange, red pepper and jalapeno and added it in a bowl with the pineapple, some cilantro and some olive oil. (Note: you really should wear gloves when cutting the japlapeno. Uusally I dont and I'm fine, but for some reason this time I burned my fingers so bad and spent the rest of the night with my hands in bowls of sour cream, milk, rubbing alchohol and baking soda. Yes, blonde, very blonde but at least I got out of dishes) Anyways, now you have your salsa.

The rice should be cooked by now. Fluff the rice with a fork and then grate all of the lime (lime zest) into the rice. Next cut the grated lime in half and squeeze the juiice into the rice, about 2 tblsps.. Next, chop up some cilantro, I used about 10-15 sprigs and add to rice. A little salt, a little pepper and your good!

Your salmon should be done, so arrange your plate! We ate ours with sauted zucchini and grilled corn on the cob. It was delicious, and it wasnt too spicy for Mister! It was pretty, and pretty easy which I loved!

Happy cooking friends!

1 comment:

  1. Love how Bert and Ernie turned out!!! And that salmon looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete