Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Crockpot Wednedsay:Bacon Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato sandwiches

Today's Crockpot Wednesday is minus the crockpot. I know, then its just a normal Wednesday but this recipe is just too good not to share!! This morning the kiddo's and I and their auntie, one of my best friends who was in town from Massachusetts went to a U-Pick Farm. It was so much fun! Mister had a blast picking fruit and veggies and I enjoyed the you pick price and yummy produce. And I really love it when we can do something outside, out of the ordinary and make fun memories! At the farm I got some green tomatoes and so that is why I am sharing this recipe: Bacon,Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato sandwiches with Garlic Basil Mayo. It is delicious, and reminds me of some of my favorite things, Alabama and the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. Here's what you need.


bread,bacon, lettuce, green tomatoes(if you can't find green tomatoes just buy not ripe red tomatoes), milk,flour,salt, pepper, garlic powder,fresh basil, garlic,mayonaise and oil.

First thing I do is start heating up the oil. You dont want too little, but you dont want too much in your pan, just enough to cover the tomatoes. While the oil is heating I slice my green tomatoes into somewhat thick slices. Then in a small bowl you mix a cup of flour with  pepper, garlic powder and some salt. Pour some milk in another small bowl.



Put your bacon on to fry, and make sure your oil is hot. It should pop at you when you flick water on it. Dredge your tomato slices in milk and then in the flour mixture, then place in the hot grease. You will want to wait until one side is pretty crispy before turning, the crispier the better for this sandwich.

While your tomatoes and bacon are frying away, measure out a cup of mayo and put in blender. Add a clove of garlic and about 4-5 larger fresh basil leaves. Blend the mixture up in your blender until its all smooth. Now you have your mayo.



Check your bacon and tomatoes. Your tomatoes should look like this, or even crispier if you want. Toast your bread. I usually just put mine under the broiler in the oven. Now you can assemble your sandwich.




And here it is in all of its glory. Shut the front door this is a good sandwich. And since we through healthy out the window at the first step, we ate ours with fried zucchini. We did eat some of the fresh berries we picked though, so now I can have dessert!



Here are a few pictures of our U-Pick adventure. Enjoy your fried sandwich y'all!




2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Where is this place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, its in between Live Oak and Gridley Johnsons U Pick.... they are only open on Wednesday's and Saturday. We should go one morning. :)

    ReplyDelete