Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Minestrone Soup

I've been planning over here for Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, there is just something about it that I really love. It's sad to me that it gets so overlooked, sad that people have such a hard time to stop and be thankful. This year I am in charge of decorating... (yay!!) and a few dishes. I'm going to make a fun little table for the kiddies, for crafts and snacks and then I'm going to go with a white, rustic and gold theme...with a few hints of book page love... sounds kind of modge podgeish but I think its going to look great. 

For food's I am definitely making this salad and these pumpkin pecan tassies..maybe with mini chocolate chips added as well? Also, I'm still on the hunt for some kind of perfect cranberry cheesecake... Yum. Also a turkey veggie tray and a cute turkey apple caramel dip tray. 

The air has been cold here, the colors outside amazing. I thought I would share with you all one of my favorite soups for a perfect fall day. It's my mom's recipe, and I absolutely love it. Minestrone is so great because its chocked full of good for you, tastes great and is filling. 
Here's my version:

             Minestrone 



Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot diced
1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced
1 medium onion diced
1-2 tbsp minced garlic... (depending on preference)
1/4 pound green beans.. trimmed
7 cups of water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
1/4 small head cabbage- 3 cups shredded
1 medium zucchini diced
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 cup macaroni
1/2 bag spinach, coarsely shredded
1 15 oz can of cannalini beans (white kidney beans)
1 8-10 oz can kidney beans

In a 4 qt saucepan over medium heat, in olive oil, cook carrot, celery, onion, garlic and green beans, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add water, salt, oregano,cabbage, zucchini, tomatoes with their liquid, and boiullion, over high heat, heat to boiling.

Reduce heat to simmer, cook for 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Add macaroni, spinach, and both beans. Bring heat back up to high. Cook until macaroni is done, about 10 minutes. 

Enjoy!! 

1 comment:

  1. i love soup ! i am going to try this recipe looks so good !! this year we are away all the prathers on a roadtrip to Ft. Bragg!!!

    ReplyDelete