Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Homemade Goodness: Laundry Soap and Mac N Cheese

Today I am celebrating all things Homemade! I love homemade everything, I get that from my mom. I usually make everything from scratch, its way cheaper and in all actuality does not take that much longer to prepare.
First things first: today I made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent.
Dont even get me started on how HAPPY this makes me. The recipe is so easy, I found it here. (This is one of my most favorite blogs and I was so excited when she shared how she makes her soap.) The savings are amazing! 
One box of Borax was $3.38 which will make 7 batches of soap which equal 56 cents a batch
One box of Washing Soda was $3.24 and will make 4 batches which equals 81 cents a batch
And one bar of Zote was $97... 
so all together it cost me $2.34 for a batch of soap, which will last me a long time considering you only use 1-2 tblsp depending on the size of the load! 
Ok, so I really, really love that I just saved a bunch of money on laundry. I mean its not that fun, so why should it be expensive??!! :) 
Here are some other things I am LOVING!!
I found this cutest book at Wal-Mart...it will definitely stay in my kitchen even after Valentines Day. It reminds me of my Little Miss to the tee...

I am loving Pinterest and that I got the idea for these wreaths even if they took FOREVER and a day to make and my fingers still dont like me from all of the hot glue gun burns...that  tulle one was a killer! 

And I am loving these cute paper plates and bags that my sister in law and I  found at Hobby Lobby. Like she said, "These are you." I am still trying to think of ideas for the bags...should I save them for when the kiddos are in school to pack their lunches...thats a long way off!! Any suggestions???

And finally I love this face!! I love that he wanted me to take his picture and say cheese. I love that when I asked him to please take his finger out of his nose and stop eating his boogers he said, "No thanks". What a polite, gross kid. I love that he loves to sit at the bar stools and then tell me "Me High Mommy, Me high" I really love that he hasnt said that in public yet, I mean, how do you explain that one? 

Here is something else I love, more  Homemade Loveliness: Mac N Cheese. Now dont get me wrong, I do love Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. It is pretty good. But theres good and theres great and Homemade Mac N Cheese is great. Heres my recipe: 
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of flour
2 cups milk
1/2 pound of Velveeta
1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
2 cups cooked macaroni
Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour while stirring. Add milk and continue stirring constantly until thickened. Add Velveeta cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Combine with cooked macaroni. Pour into casserole dish and top with grated cheese. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes at 350 to melt cheese. 

I usually double the recipe. I know that you are thinking, how in the world is she going to fit into those jeans she just washed in her cheap soap? I am not really sure... 

Ok I will leave you with the last thing I am loving. My Hubcap (who I do love as well) bought me the Scotty Mcreery cd for Christmas. Please dont hate on me, he reminds me of being pregnant with Little Miss and watching American Idol. Especially on the night she was born and I realized that she was born on the same day as Steven Tyler...that explains alot about that wild little girl. Anyways, his new cd has the sweetest song and I will leave you with the words from the chorus. It puts things in perspective and makes me oh so happy to live the life I live. 
"So, I’m Gonna Thank You, Lord
For Noisy Children And Slammin’ Doors
And Clothes Scattered All Over The Floor
A Husband Workin’ All The Time
Draggin’ In Dead-Tired At Night
A Never Ending, Messy Kitchen
For My Little Busy Bees
Beggin’ Momma, Momma Can We Please
Always Wantin’, Needing, Callin’ Me
Loads Of Laundry Pilin’ Up
Crayons Crushed Into The Rug
And Those Little Sticky Kisses
And Dirty Dishes"
Off to do my dishes! Happy Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment