I have been trying to figure out for some time now how I feel about "Chores" and "allowance". I didn't necessarily want to pay my children for helping out around the house, but I did want to start teaching them the importance of tithing and saving. I think I found a good balance and thought I would share.
Instead of chores we decided to call them contributions. I don't want them to feel like I am forcing them to work, but I do want them to understand that it is important that they help out our family and that everyone plays an important role in helping.
I made "Contribution Charts" to hang on the fridge. On the chart is listed a task with a corresponding picture. The kiddos check to see if they have done each contribution before they go play for the day. Of course this is very guided but the kid's eat it up and can actually figure it our for themselves!
Here are some contributions that I thought were age appropriate for a three and two year old.
Misters 3 year old contributions:
wipe the table after meals
make bed
clothes in hamper
clean bathroom counter at the end of the day
clean sliding glass door (every other day with mom's help)
Little Miss' 2 year old contributions:
wipe kitchen cubbards
make bed
clothes in hamper
help lay out clothes
Most of these are done at the beginning of our day, only leaving one contribution to do after dinner.
Contributions are a lot different than expectations. I expect my kiddos to pick up their toys when they are done with them. I expect them to clean up their rooms, help pick up after an art project or other little tasks I might randomly ask them to do.
On Saturday's the kiddos get their "allowance". Both of them receive $1. Fifty cents for spending, Twenty five cents for savings and Twenty five cents for tithe.
( yes I now realize I spelled tithe wrong...)
Do I think they totally understand? No. They are two and three. But I do think it is laying a good foundation, and teaching them the importance of hard work and helping our family.
Colossians 3:23, "Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do."
No comments:
Post a Comment